I have found a copy of Robert Escarpit's  Rudyard Kipling Servitude et grandeur (not "grandes" as Seymour Smith, who quotes him p 236 repeatedly miswrites) impériales [RK : imperial servitude and greatness , a copy of Vigny's well known title]. Escarpit was professor of Engllish litterature at the University of Bordeaux. The book is not without merit, including several pages on the Kipling Society.

The purpose of my present message is to request assistance from members : on p 63 and 64, Escarpit quotes, in translation, 12 lines of a tale that he locates in Plain Tales from the Hills, the title of which is : The Last Relief ; this is the list of all the civil service men who were posted in succession at "Myndonie" died or fell ill and were replaced. Now The Last Relief is NOT to be found in recent editions of PTFTP, neither in Mason's list. Has someone an explanation ?

Max Rives
Max Rives  / Madeleine Rives
33 Rue des Mesanges
30400 Villeneuve les Avignon