Like Silvana, we also train and consult users of QDA software.  Most
of our work to date has been with users of ATLAS.ti,
ETHNOGRAPH, HyperResearch and NUDIST.  NVIVO and WinMax are other
packages we work with, but the quotes below come only from where most
of our work has been to date.  I thought it might be useful for people
to see some select quotes from our clients about the different
products.  Please know that this is more of a haphazard selection, all
of the quotes are anonymous because they either come from anonymous
evaluations or from our eavesdropping over someone's shoulder when
they're working or from our conversations with clients.

Let me also confess my underlying motive.  Regardless of what package
someone chooses, they can do a very rich analysis.  Patricia asked
about 'user friendliness.'  Of course, to some degree we can make
general statements about this, but it is really about user preference.
When we do choice workshops we find that preferences for a package
vary in quirky manners as do preferences for wardrobes.  This
discussion has yielded wonderful information.  However, do NOT decide
on a software package until you at least demo two or three different
packages.  PERSONALLY.  The number of users of a package, the amount
of conversation, the insight of a colleague, whatever...all pale in
comparison to finding what you like...dislike in software -
qualitative or otherwise.

While you demo a package ask this question...Which package best fits
my qualitative data analysis style and most likely enhances my
insight?  AND if you can't answer it easily or if the layout of a
package is awkward, you may want to pursue another option...

on to the quotes (some paraphrased...) As you read the quotes remember
that qualitative analysis is a process...discovering the full power of
a package is too...as you work more you'll discover new tricks and
find ways to tailor a package to your preference.

Packages discussed in alphabetical order so no one gets offended!

ATLAS.ti

'Wow!  Whatever I want is here.  I like that I don't have to feel
restricted to just code, code, code.  The way I think is to
code...explore what's coded...write notes...explore what's
written...ATLAS makes that comfortable.'

'Too many buttons!'   [Same person after we showed them how they can
opt to hide the toolbars] - 'No buttons!' :)

'We've learned a lot about how our colleagues on this project
think...that is almost entirely due to the use of ATLAS.'

ETHNOGRAPH

'You know, its elegance is its simplicity.  I've read that ETHONOGRAPH
doesn't assist theory development.  That just is not true.  It is
clean and let's me get right to the text of my data.  I'm looking
forward to this project!'

'I thought ETHNOGRAPH wouldn't offer as much as other packages because
of its price.  But, this is all I need.  It makes sense to me.  I find
that as I code and memo I look forward to questions I can ask about my
coding later.'

HyperResearch

'The case cards really help me guide my comparisons.  I think in terms
of units of analysis.  This works well for me.'

'So, the hypothesis tester can be used at any time...not just after
coding is finished?  Ok, so I can play with notions about what I see
as I go along.'

NUD*IST

'This will keep our research team on track.  Merge makes sense to me.
We can really lay out our goals and get to work now.'

'Why nodes? It just seems like another thing to deal with.'  [Same
person after a discussion of the flexibility of nodes.]  'So, that's
nice.  Nodes are just places for my ideas.  I can move them around,
cut them out.  OK.'

'Coding Stripes are a fun way to explore what's happening between my
codes.  My code stripe reports are really helping me setup what index
searches I'll perform.'

Raymond C. Maietta, Ph.D.
ResearchTalk Consultation and Training
516.289.4175