The discussion to date goes as per below:

 In a message dated 9/21/99 6:48:16 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

 << My previous post was in response to inquiries from people just getting
into qualitative software, and the big point I was trying to make is that
there are a lot of very good programs, and people should take time to look
around and consider how the software fits with the way they work and think
and use computers already. >>

  On the other side of the coin in the real world....I would point out that
one issue in doing research is getting it accepted by a thesis committee or
a peer journal.   Yes, there are lots of qualitative research programs out
there but for the novice researcher "market share" and disciplinary
acceptance are also big considerations.  In that light only the top two or
three programs have been heard of by most professors and editors.

 Time is another consideration.  Who actually has the time, knowledge, or
money to review these programs to see if they "fit" with our research
needs.  In many areas qualitative research itself pushes the boundaries of
acceptable research, adding an unknown research program is not in the best
interest of most of us untenured folks.

 tim lavalli

My response, Tim, is to note again that any software that is available,
regardless of "market share" is only ever a tool.  The key thing that any
thesis committee ought to be concerned with is the capacity of the thesis
candidate to conduct whatever research is being contemplated IRRESPECTIVE
OF THE TOOLS.  After all, we (I personally) normatively engage programmes
that are accepted without question as run-of-the-mill tools. eg. word
processing programmes, EndNote, SPSS, Statview, Super ANOVA, Excel,
Inspiration, NUD*IST, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm not really concerned about what
applications a researcher does or does not use, but I do think that
investigators should be encouraged by supervisors to use whatever tools are
available to them that might help them to tell their story more
meaningfully.  It behoves supervisors, therefore, to assume professional
responsibility for (a) gaining at least a passing modicum of knowledge
about potentially pertinent software and (b) encouraging thesis candidates
to explore and use such programmes.

Ideally, if this happens, the candidate and the supervisor each become
"Sometimes teacher - sometimes learner."

cheers

Jens

Jens J. Hansen, Ph.D.(New England)
Programme Leader, Master of Educational Management,
UNITEC Institute of Technology, Te Kura Puukenga o Wairaka,
Private Bag 92025, Auckland, New Zealand
UNITEC Phone:  64 9 815 4321 Ext. 8797  UNITEC Fax:  64 9 815 4310
UNITEC email: [log in to unmask]

91 Domain Cresent, Muriwai Beach, RD 1 Waimauku, West Auckland, New Zealand
Home Phone: 64 9 411 7703