Anna Lee.
Principal, Work Ready

Write to me at [log in to unmask]
Visit me at www.workready.com.au

Snail mail:
Suite 3, 82 Enmore Road
Newtown      2042
Australia
Phone: (02) 9519 7436
Mob:     0412 33 43 98
Fax:      (02) 9519 7439
-----Original Message-----
From: kevin reese <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Saturday, 4 September 1999 22:25
Subject: Re: FW: Clinical reasoning

Dear Sophie

I have been on my hols so catching this debate part of the way through. I
agree with Anna in that practice comes first and evidence/science follows. I
also agree with Ian in that the emphasis in all things being evidenced is
unrealistic. I am worred however about the idea of not thinking about
certain situations and going on to automatic pilot.

It is probably this rationale that gives the Chiropractors such a worrying
safety record. ie  I can perform thousands of cervical manipulations before
one goes wrong big style.

We must have the freedom to be intuitive. We must also be able to choose
from different schools, philosophies, intellectual approaches and techniques
and mix as we see fit. The thing we must never do is stop thinking. I can
think of numerous things that can look like a gastroc strain where the
approach you suggest would either be indffectual or dangerous.

I can only speak about my own practice and I never seem to have a routine
problem. Working predominantly with chronics, (over 6/52) if the solutions
were easy they would have gotten better without physio.

We may be meeting soon, so I hope this does not sound curt

Warm Regards Kevin Reese MCSP UK