Today, 6 September, is the feast of ...

* Donatian, Laetus and others, bishops and martyrs (c. 484)
- victims of the Arian king of the Vandals, Huneric

* Eleutherius, abbot (sixth century)
- lived for many years in Gregory the Great's monastery at Rome
(see *Dialogues*, bk 3, ch. 33)

* Chainoaldus or Cagnou or Cagnoald, bishop of Laon (c. 633)
- accompanied St Columban on his travels; was present at the
Council of Reims in 630

* Bega or Bee, virgin (seventh century)
- the promontory in Northumbria on which she lived is known as St
Bee's Head

* Bertrand de Garrigues (c. 1230)
- one of the earliest followers of Dominic; prior provincial of
Provence; when asked why he rarely celebrated requiem masses, he
replied: 'we are certain of the salvation of the holy souls, but of the
end of ourselves and other sinners we are not certain'; according to
Bernard Gui, he was 'the very image of the blessed Dominic'

* Peregrine of Falerone (1240)
- quit being a student at Bologna and joined Francis of Assisi as
a lay brother

* Liberato da Loro (1258?)
- not much known of him; supposedly a Franciscan, he apparently
lived as a contemplative and a hermit

* Sante da Monte Fabri (1390)
- celebrated by Franciscans along with Peregrine and Liberato, he
became a lay brother after having killed a man

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168