At 10:07 AM 9/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Has anybody ever heard of a connection between female mysticism and the
>apocalypse?  A young scholar asked me about it pertaining to 17thc.
>pietism, but that connection to me seems highly unlikely for medieval
>mystics as mysticism was not concerned with worldly fears.
>
>Thanks

i wd be less quick to dismiss the link.  it's a little like saying that now
that dante has purgatory he need not get apocalyptic.  there's always room
for apocalypse in xn culture, no matter what the focus.  as De Lubac
pointed out, by the time you get to full-fledged (pseudo-)dionysian
celestial hierarchies, you begin to lose any distinctive xn flavor.  the
revelations of the mystic can, in fact, have some pretty powerful
apocalyptic messages, all the more likely to become activated in periods
when the mysticism spreads rapidly in the population.

mysticism is often post-apocalyptic (shift from horizontal and temporal to
vertical and spatial), but it contains the dynamics of the disappointment
in it (pure mysticism is the booby prize,... what about all those lost souls?)