Brett,

Have found the discussion most interesting. Rigidly defined types of 'ideal'
strain help us understand/label parts of strain (and deformation) in
geological materials. However, to expect rigid adherence to a strain type
throughout a geological body would seem to totally disregard scale concepts
and bulk versus component strains.

Regarding the fault problem, it is not uncommon to find a poor correlation
between fault length and displacement. One reason for this is raised in your
comments; namely, that the movement history may be complex and involve
inconsistent/even opposing movement senses such that the apparent
displacement vector is minimal.

If there is a real displacement (that is one not resulting from volume loss
and/or shortening normal to the fault plane) then there must be a component
of simple shear within the general strain. Lack of a well-defined lineation
in such a fault will depend on many factors including the amount of simple
shear and the interaction between the rock material and physical conditions
during faulting.

But yes, it would be nice to know!

Regards,

Brian.

At 09:40 PM 6/09/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Well, the discussion that my query on pure shear started was very
interesting and informative. I was wondering if anyone subscribed to this
group until the recent submissions. I would like to go back to where my
original question stemmed from. It is interesting to look at the Archaean of
Western Australia, which is dominated structurally by northerly trending
faults of significant strike length, commonly 10's of km to greater than 100
km. However, as best we can ascertain (given the lack of exposure) many of
these have very little displacement across them, either in a dip-slip sense
or strike-slip sense. Certainly the magnitudes of displacement would be at
first glance be expected to be greater given the magnitude of these zones.
Also, a number of these don't display consistent movement senses. Hence, my
concern that these may be (perish the thought) akin to pure shear zones. Is
this a common occurrence in other orogenic belts?

>Brett
>
>Dr Brett Davis
>PO Box 265,  Kalgoorlie Business Centre,
>Western Australia, Australia, 6433.
>Ph: 61-8-9022 3980 (H), 61-8-9021 7622 (W)
>Fax: 61-8-9021 3200

Professor Brian Marshall,          Tel: (+61-2)-9514 1775
Applied Geology - UTS,            Fax: (+61-2)-9514 1755
P O Box 123 Broadway,
NSW 2007,
AUSTRALIA