I have been very interested in the discussion on postmodernism and am
greatful that we can discuss such philosophical topics on this bulletin
board.
I would like to suggest people read Ian Hacking's Book "The social
construction of what?" Published in 1999 by Harvard university press. Its
written in good english [unlike many postmodernist writers who want to
transcend the barrier of lucidity] and places postmodernism  very close to
the concerns of evidence based practice.

Hacking notes that many postmodernists write their thick volumes of text to
argue the following:

1. X need not have existed
2. X is quite bad
3. We would be much better if X is done away with, or at least radically
transformed.

If I let X be a medical problem brought by a patient I encounter in my GP
surgery, then the above argument seems fine to me.  If, however, I let X be
"reality" then I am at odds with the argument.  Furthermore if I am told
that "X need not have existed" is equivalent to " X does not exist", the I
am also at odds with the argument.

I find many post modernists bristle when I claim that a bursting
gallbladder is not socially constructed - particularly when I tell them of
my experience: Once I was called to do a house call at 3am.  "Please come
quick!"  cried a woman at the other end of the phone. She was a student
doing a PHD in  sociology and despite the cost she was adamant I should
visit.  So I did. As I walked in the door I saw her clutching her upper
abodomen in some pain (it was an inflammed gallbladder as it turned out)
and saying "I tried to desconstruct my pain all night but couldn't".

cheers

Dr Marjan Kljakovic
Senior Lecturer in General Practice
Wellington School of Medicine