Dear Colleagues and Friends,

The following may be of interest.

Richard Askwith, former editor of The Independent Sunday Review writes in a
long article for The Independent Magazine, 4th September 1999 (Essay:
"System Error" pp 27 - 30)

QUOTE/

Parliamentary democracy was invented in the days of the horse and cart, and
perfected during the steam age. In a world of ATMs and the Internet, isn't
it time governments found new ways to let the people decide, asks Richard
Askwith.

(....)

Every other sphere of human activity is now being turned upside down by the
Internet, what about politics?

(...) I hurtle through a tunnel of links that takes me around the connected
world in around 80 minutes. My journey includes visits to the websites of
such organisations as the US-based Teledemocracy Action News & Network, the
Swiss-based Campaign for Direct Democracy and the German based
<A HREF="http://www.democracyforum.net">Dem@cracy Forum</A>. By the time I
disconnect, feeling surfeited but strangely elated, a starlingly obvious
conclusion has already penetrated my consciousness. The revolution has
already begun.

All over the Western world, "initiatives" am sprouting, giving experimental
substance to the idea of direct, electronic democracy.

/UNQUOTE

ATM = automated telling machine

Sincerely,
Michael Macpherson

Dr. Michael Macpherson,
PSAMRA/Integral Studies,
Berlin FRG
tel.: +49 30 262 3768
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

INTEGRAL STUDIES
http://www.snafu.de/~mjm/index.html

PSYCHO-SOCIAL AND MEDICAL RESEARCH PSAMRA
http://www.snafu.de/~mjm/psamra.html