I received a flyer from Durham Univ Economics Department this morning (other Econ Business Educator Colleagues may have done likewise).

Flyer advertises a three-day teachers' conference (12-14 July, 2000)
Covers "latest thinking in economics" (minimum wage, unemployment, environmental stuff, competition, EMU, Asian crisis) plus  "hands on sessions with one of the main exam boards to mark past papers" plus "syllabus 2000" - information about the new courses plus a session on developments in teaching methodology.

Sounds ok ..... although the chance to mull-over past papers in mid July is a nightmare re-visited from countless exam board training days (if in doubt .... fill the time by arguing about exam marking!!) and we will have made most decisions on which courses to run in September 2000. So the chance to "discuss details" looks fairly tame and uninspiring!

2 nights in a college room in Durham (ok not cheap buy hardly the excellent Three Tuns hotel down the main street which can do a decent B&B for %60 per person per night)

Some food thrown in (literally perhaps) before the "evening sessions" where we might indulge ourselve in "reviewing each day's progress  or partake in "teacher discussions" and "responding to delegate's interests" ........ my own interests lie in going round every pub in Newcastle in two years ... perhaps I might be persuaded to put together a Powerpoint presentation (remember Barry Young!!!!).....)

OK .... its time to work out what 2 1/2 days of seminars on stuff we should know about already and two nights in a student room ("whats that strange smell?")  plus some college grub (tasty)  will cost your department / school / personal bank balance. Remember we are talking holiday time as well so no lost days at the chalkface looking after Year 10.

Have a guess first

£100?

£150?

£200?

not even close

Durham Univ are suggesting £500 per person. They are hoping for 50 participants (they might get them) which will draw in a cool £25,000.

We are asked to confirm our interest with "names of participating teachers (yes teachers)" by Friday 17 December. I was tempted to take my Departmental colleagues for a well deserved week in Washington and New York to visit the Fed Reserve, City institutions and do a little shopping ......3 nights plus the flight for £385 ......... but no ..... two days in seminars at Durham for all three of us should make a hefty dent in the school's finances well into the next millennium!

I will be using this flyer as an excellent case study for my Year 10.

Cheers

Geoff