----- Original Message -----
From: Mairian Corker <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 1999 7:12 AM
Subject: Re: People first in canada

Hi contributers

> Interesting this. I get the reverse that is when I use 'deaf', it gets
> edited up to 'Deaf' even when I'm not talking about sign language users. I
> don't think this issue is simple. It seems we're caught between a rock and
> a hard place on the issue of how we describe ourselves and that is perhaps
> something that needs to be addressed on an international level.

I have seen Mairian refer to this phenomenon before and its intriguing.  A
bit like waves crashing onto themselves causing the foam to obscure the real
depth.  I have no answers but I do feel that if we could understand this
Deaf, deaf, disability thing, it would provide better understanding of some
of the more *risky* aspects of identifying and identity.