Simi, I'm also interested in when "people first" language came into
circulation.  Over the next couple of months I am to write a paper on
the subject designed to generate discussion for a series of roundtables
we (the Roeher Institute) intend to organize with policy-makers,
self-advocates, and other disability activists.  Our aim is to motivate
them to change from the people-first lexicon to language that fits with
a social model.  This will be a daunting task.  As Maria and Tanis
recently indicated on this list, the people-first language is very, very
entrenched in the Canadian context, with activists and government
officials alike upholding it.

Does anyone have particulars on when "people-first" language became
hegemonic in Canada?  One suggestion has been that this coincided with
the movement for deinstitutionalization and "normalization".  I would
appreciate whatever information anyone could offer on this.  Thanks.

Best regards,  Shelley

Shelley Tremain, PhD,
L'Institut Roeher Institute,
Kinsmen Building,