Perhaps you'll be surprised but I actually agree with Susan. However I
think there is a serious question here about the relationship between
disability and agency, which is the term I use in place of Susan's
'ability'. If we only look at structural accounts of disability (and by
that I mean accounts that say disability is 'out there' and we are passive
'victims' of it) then this suggests that the very concept of agency is
socially created. In other words,  - the the answer to the question 'does
advocacy create victims?' is no, disability creates victims. It may well be
true that impairment prevents some people from being activists of the 'in
your face' kind, but it is also true that the structures of disability work
to stamp out activism by making us fearful for our jobs, families, quality
of life and so on. That must mean, however, that disability has a cognitive
dimension and that problematises the structural account. I think that is
one very compelling reason why the structural account is limited and I
welcome further discussion about this.

However, when Jennifer writes:

>Scholars who teach and write are being activists, and I think those of
>us who choose to advocate for disability rights in this manner are to be
>commended.

this seems a very blanket comment. I think there is a big difference
between a 'scholar' and what Gramsci calls 'an organic intellectual',
though they can merge in the same person. There are a lot of disability
studies scholars whose writing does NOT engage with disabled people, except
on the intellectual level, and they do not care whether their work makes a
difference to disabled people's lives, only whether it makes a difference
to their own lives. Note, I'm not talking about people who write about and
try to unravel complex ideas - something that does take time - because
'there's nothing so practical as a good theory'. The point of course is
that, by and large, it is those who succeed in objectifying disabled people
through this 'scholarly' writing that are most accepted/respected by the
academy, and that just keeps elitism in place. So when Jennifer asks:

>Is it necessary to rank who's "the best activist?"

No it shouldn't be necessary but we do need a discussion about what
activism actually is - activism for what and why? - and we do need to be
very careful about dishing out commendations too liberally. Constructive
critique and reflexivity keeps people on their toes and makes them ask
questions. There have been a series of articles about the relationship
between the academy and the movement (i.e. 'activists') in Disability &
Society in the last two years. They're worth a look, as is Mike Oliver's
account in 'Understanding disability' (1996), and Simone Aspis' in
'Disability Discourse' (1999).

Best

Mairian