Hi Everyone

I am interested in the exchanges between Gregor and Erik (and others) over
ethics.

I am working for a systems advocacy organisation (QAI) that does advocacy
for "the most vulnerable people with disability" in Qld Australia. I do
what is known as bioethics advocacy work. Naturally enough I spend a great
deal of my (thinking) time thinking about ethics frameworks.

Those of you working in this area of ethics will no doubt be aware that
most of the ethics practised is usually just a glossy justification for
abuse and the eventual elimination of those named as "having disability".
Hence the concern over the writings of Singer, Kuhse, Fletcher, Harris,
James Rachels, Stuart Rachels, and other utilitarians. One problem is that
"quality of life" ethics is foundational in secular utilitarian decision
making, and justifies treating some people as having greater value than
others. Another problem is that "sanctity of life" ethics has become the
well meaning face on religious utilitarian decision making. According to a
Catholic bioethicist I know, Catholic morality is teleological. In Catholic
hospital settings, teleology translates into utilitarian practice, not
altruism, as is commonly supposed. Here lives are eliminated also, but they
are not eliminated because they are not valued. They are eliminated because
eliminating them is the "unintended" consequence of decisions that "on
balance" provide the most benefit. So neither formulation provides a
satisfactory basis for ethics as people with disability are always
disadvantaged by utilitarianism. (They are the "minority" that the
"greatest good for the greatest number" does not cover.)

Deontological principles do not always help either. Deontology presupposes
that the subject is rational and autonomous (or is making sufficiently
"normative" headway in that direction). Those of us who cannot always claim
to be so are inherently disadvantaged here.

The alternative to principalism (whether it be deontological or
teleological) is a process approach to ethics. However it must be a process
that declares itself. One of the problems with principalism is that it
espouses impartiality. In medical settings impartiality becomes partiality
against the lives of people with disabilty. (I have written a paper on this
which I delivered at the Aust. bioethics conference in Hobart in 1998.)

The partiality I espouse is on the side of the vulnerable and the
oppressed. This entails that people with disability, if they are to use
this approach will have allies in the feminist movement for example. There
are some very interesting writings by disabled women that have great
relevance to bioethics for instance. There is an unavoidable transition
here in ethics towards relativism and away from absolutism. This simply
means that we speak our stories from a limited perspective. Yet we do not
countenance abuse and oppression. Neither do we allow ethics formulations
that justify the "unintended" harm to people with disability. Lack of
intention is no excuse, and therefore the doctrine of "double effect", for
instance, is looked on with suspicion.

If we adopt a process ethics however, we have made a critical transition
from the purely theoretical level to the engaged level. There cannot be
process ethics without engagement, and therefore commitment. We will
discover opposition from people espousing an ethics that requires
detachment, the view of the "archangel", as RM Hare put it.

I have a couple of discussion papers ready if anyone is interested. One is
entitled "Collaborative process ethics in the lives of people with
disability." The other is entitled "Genetic counselling and the search for
an ethical process."

David Turnbull
Bioethics Advocacy Worker
Queensland Advocacy Incorporated