Hi

I thought your comment about "the story is most powerful
when it exerts a metaphoric power, quite different
from the claim to truth" was very useful, true and
interesting. I'm not sure, however, that case studies are
always, or indeed often, used in this way.  The literature
seems to imply a range of different approaches, from using
cases in developing cognitive (knowledge retention,
knowledge application, problem solving) and affective
skills (communication, group working) among others.   A
powerful story deepens understanding, for example, but may
not assist in helping students to develop problem solving
or analytical skills.

What do other people think?

Charles

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:25:10 +0500 "Mathai B. Fenn"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to this mailing list, so I thought I would introduce myself and
> some of my concerns. I find that the case methods are similar to "Teaching
> Stories" used in some other traditions of teaching, since the case study
> method is always used to illustrate something. As an illustration it is
> very useful, however, one wonders why there is a preference for "factual"
> cases? Any relationship with reality would make it appear that the cases
> have some explanatory power, to explain what really happened in a
> particular situation.
>
> I for one believe that such an "explanation" is very limited in scope, an
> understanding based on a sample size of ONE. Taking the analogy with
> teaching stories further, one could perhaps appreciate the fact that the
> story is most powerful when it exerts a metaphoric power, quite different
> from the claim to truth. For example, the parables from the bible. When
> asked who is my neighbour? The answer was given as the parable of the good
> samaritan. Every time I read the story, I learn something new. Yet when I
> read a factual account, unless there are gaps in the narrative, it is
> hardly worth reading again and again.
>
> The power of the teaching story is in the fact that it may have something
> to say about reality, but does not lay claim to be a historical account
> itself.
>
> Mathai Baker Fenn

> Dr. Mathai Baker Fenn
> Assistant Professor,
> (Oroganisational Behaviour and Marketing)
> XLRI. Postbox 222,
> Jamshedpur 831 001,
> Bihar State, India
>

> Website: (http://www.fenn.net/fenn.html)