Gerry Lane wrote
Subject: EBM and chest drains for stabbing related pneumothoraces
Anybody got experience/good references on conservative i.e.non tube thoracostomy treatment of patients with pneumothorax post stabbing?
Gerry Lane.

Not an evidence base but below is the discussion regarding the consevative managent of pneumothoraces that took place on the list last year.

There was a small series published by Graham Johnson in the JAEM on the subject but I do not have the reference to hand

Simon

Simon Carley
SpR in Emergency Medicine
Hope Hospital
Salford
England

Just a quick request of the lists views.

Case: 55 year old fit and well male falls 4 feet of a ladder onto the right
side of the chest. Presents to A+E with right sided chest pain, decreased
chest expansion and decreased air entry on that side. However, he is
generally well seen by SHO in A+E and gets an erect AP X-ray.

The film is of good quality and shows a fracture of the 4th rib. There is a
small (5cm) area of surgical emphysema seen on the chest film laterally
which is just palpable clinically. There is also blunting of the
costophrenic angle - presumably blood. There is no radiographic evidence of
pneumothorax (though there must be one).

He is going to be admitted for observation anyway. The question is should
you put a formal chest drain in this man?? We did not. The decision we made
has been criticised by some of our collegues.

Simon Carley
Anaesthetics / Intensive Care
Stepping Hill Hospital
Stockport
England

In reference to aspiration of simple pneumothoraces, I note with interest
that the BTS guidelines advocate a trial of needle aspiration before
resorting to chest drainage in all cases. Has anyone on the list
successfully avoided insertion of a chest drain in those with >50%
pneumothoraces, or is it simply delaying the inevitable?

Ffion Davies
SpR A&E, Mersey

There seems to be a generally supportive opinion so far about conservative
management here. I think management depends on what problems you might
expect, where they will happen, and on the availability of the right
personnel to manage them.

In a teaching hosital, with a reasonable number of experienced people
available, I believe your management to be entirely appropriate. I would
have made it clear to junior medical and also nursing staff what I was
concerned about, and how they would recognise it, together with what should
be done if it developed.

In a more isolated position, such as a small District General Hospital
where there are only one or two sufficiently experienced people on site
then I think discretion is the better part of valour. A "prophylactic"
drain is warranted.

If the patient is being transferred between hospitals for in-patient care (
as would happen in Hull ) then a drain is mandatory. The back of an
ambulance is not the place to have a tension pneumothorax that might have
been anticipated, and needle decompression by a paramedic, are substandard
treatment for somebody who has been under the care of an Emergency
Department.

Stand your ground on this one at Manchester Royal Infirmary, but there are
caveats for other places.

Darren Walter

Conservative, expectant treatment is safe in my opinion,as long as you
admit him to a well monitored unit and have clear arrangements for a
competent registrar to attend promptly and insert a chest drain should
his pneumothorax expand.Graham Johnson wrote up a series of 30 or so of
these in JAEM a couple of years ago.
I have had the same problem, Simon - once referred & admitted to the
surgical wards, our greater experience in this area is ignored and the
patient undergoes a painful, dangerous, even disfiguring procedure which
prolongs length of stay. The technique often leaves something to be
desired! I worry that sometimes it is done because the doctor wants the
experience.....
As a result, we usually admit them to our obs ward for expectant
treatment under our own care, though this necessitates 24 hour on site
registrar cover in my opinion.

steve meek
emergency department
RUH Bath

Very interesting - I too would not have inserted a chest drain BUT.....
regular frequent observations essential; repeat chest film at four to six
hours; low threshold for chest drain if any deterioration. If a careful
EXPERIENCED eye can't be kept on him, the safest thing to do is to put in a
chest drain prior to admission.

Lawrence Jaffey
Liverpool

Subject: conservative tx of traumatic chest trauma

An interesting question Simon.
When I was posted to a small(ish) rural hospital without an A&E Obs ward I
seemed to have a run of these.
They did get a chest drain, and I like to think it was for proper medical
reasons rather than just me wanting to do something practical.
My justification (and I think it is right), is that Sods law decrees that
otherwise they will get a tension, and be seen in the night by a PRHO who
will miss whats happening and start throwing Ventolin at them because they
are SOB.

If you can guarantee decent monitoring, and the availability of someone
experienced to sort it out quickly when it goes bad,then I think
conservative management is the right thing.
I just feel that in many cases this council of perfection is unobtainable,
and so conservative management is a little too risky to feel comfortable
with.

David Roe
A&E SpR, Mersey

Perfectly reasonable management providing you can trust the "observation".
Otherwise what is the point of admitting him? If you cannot trust those
observing they should not be doing it.

Best wishes,

Rowley Cottingham

>BTW, what does the list think about the practice of aspirating small
>spontaneous pneumothoraces ?  This practice/fad seems endemic amongst
>physicians in Hong Kong but I think it's unnecessary in most cases. I've
>treated dozens of these conservatively with careful advice to the patient on
>activity and when to seek further help, and they have all resolved by 1-2
>weeks. Anyone had their fingers burned by doing similar ?
>
>Rob Cocks

Most of these are seen and discharged in A&E, but a few get as far as the
physicians.  I tend to sit on them for a few hours to make sure they are
clinically stable, then discharge them with strict advice to return
immediately if dyspnea worsens.  For bigger pneumothoraces, <50% I would
try apsiration first, then consider chest tube insertion depending on
clinical condition.  >50% pneumothorax mandates tube placement.

Interestingly, in the last hospital I worked in tubes were supplied without
trochars, in line with the teaching that one should put them in with
forceps.  This seems to be driven by the surgeons rather than the chest
physicians, and I suspect it's due to ATLS teaching.  Does anyone on the
list have any opinions as to whether using a plastic introducer is
acceptable?  These are made by Portex, and go in through the proximal drain
hole on the tube, into its lumen, and out at the distal end.  I've found
they work well, and allow a smaller incision to be used than that necessary
to admit both tube and forceps.

Andy Johnston
Senior SHO
General Medicine
Aberdeen Royal Infirmary
AB25 2ZN

Perfectly reasonable strategy - but better left for departments where there
is a stable group of SpR's who give each other a proper handover at shift's
end !!

My first intro to conservative management was as an orthopaedic SHO when I
witnessed my consultant arguing nose-to-nose with a cardiothoracic SR about
whether a 2 year old girl with a # humerus and a small PTX with surgical
emphysema needed a drain. The consultant won, and she resolved within 36
hours under the caring eyes of the paed ward staff . I always find it
amazing how quickly children bounce back to normal activities, even with
appalling injuries !

BTW, what does the list think about the practice of aspirating small
spontaneous pneumothoraces ?  This practice/fad seems endemic amongst
physicians in Hong Kong but I think it's unnecessary in most cases. I've
treated dozens of these conservatively with careful advice to the patient on
activity and when to seek further help, and they have all resolved by 1-2
weeks. Anyone had their fingers burned by doing similar ?

Rob Cocks
Prof. & Director
A&E Medicine
Prince of Wales Hospital
Hong Kong

>Interestingly, in the last hospital I worked in tubes were supplied without
>trochars, in line with the teaching that one should put them in with
>forceps.  This seems to be driven by the surgeons rather than the chest
>physicians, and I suspect it's due to ATLS teaching.  Does anyone on the
>list have any opinions as to whether using a plastic introducer is
>acceptable?  These are made by Portex, and go in through the proximal drain
>hole on the tube, into its lumen, and out at the distal end.  I've found
>they work well, and allow a smaller incision to be used than that necessary
>to admit both tube and forceps.

The important aspect is not necessarily how the actual drain is inserted but
how the pleura is entered. The use of trocar drains encourages forceful
insertion through the pleura without control preventing lung injury. If you
are breaching the pleura first with a blunt technique eg gloved finger, then
it is perfectly reasonable to use a plastic trocar to then guide the
subsequent drain in, provided your hole is large enough in the first place
to allow the drain to enter without forcing.

Richard Steyn
Cardiothoracic Surgery
Liverpool

andy johnston wrote:

>   >50% pneumothorax mandates tube placement.

Why?
If the plearal leak has sealed it self when the lung collapsed half way rather
than one third of the way what difference does this make to the likelihood of
aspiration being successful?
Andrew

I couldn't agree more. I have seen several "complete" spontaneous pneumothoraces
treated successfully by simple aspiration. It may be necessary to reaspirate once
or even twice, but I would personally rather that than have a chest drain inserted.

Lawrence Jaffey
Liverpool

Just a follow up note to let the list know how this chap got on.

He was admitted for observation to a surgical ward where he was monitored
with SaO2 monitoring and hourly obs. He had a repeat examination and CXR at
6 hours (no change) and again the next morning (still no change). He was
sent home for review in one week with clear instructions to return if at
all symptomatic. Total time in hospital - about 36 hours.

Criticism came from several sources - sadly I believe some of it came from
people who "just fancied a go" at a chest drain!!