Jel
Thanks for highlighting this problem, and it's one which many of our
colleagues will find it difficult to relate to.

I have no doubt that you did the right thing (except maybe the coffee -
so easy to spill on the HT Hughes, overalls, you know!). In the
circumstances, taking the lad to the DGH would have merely transferred
the difficult decision making to someone less familiar with difficult
decision making.

Partners in General Practice seems to be either strongly supportive of,
or strongly opposed to, Immediate Care. Your Partner's willingness to
cover your duties should be taken as fundamental to your partnership
agreement - how else do either of you have holidays? This is what GP
Partners do for one another.

Your going on this call, and ensuring the child's best care, is at least
forestalling your subsequent attendance at pre Inquest meetings with the
MDU, with the MDU's barristers (usually London/Edinburgh/Cardiff), the
inquest itself, and many other necessary meetings to explain why the
child died.

The fact that your partner is unhappy raises questions in my mind about
how he/she expects you to cover his/her absences - the child with
epiglottitis, the sudden illness of a member of their family,
compassionate leave, and so on.

Your story reminds me of my previous partner, who had to cover suddenly
when my wife went into labour. He phoned the hospital twice during first
stage, and once during second stage, to find out when I was coming back
to relieve him.

I'll bet all the evidence in the world won't convince your partner -
it's not evidence you lack, it's professional support. But your story
makes me very grateful to my current partners, and my staff, who enable
me to provide Immediate Care.

Andrew