Frank McAree asked about what was going to happen to the tapes used in
The Century Speaks. Originally the tapes were only going to be lodged
with the British Library. Local History Magazine, among others, did make
representations to the BBC about this and following is the text of a
letter which was published in the issue 72 (Mar/Apr 1999) of the
magazine:

'Can I reassure your readers about our plans for 'The Century Speaks',
the BBC's Millennium Oral History Project?

All the interviews collected will be archived by the British Library
National Sound Archive in their entirety and made available to the
public via the Library's two sites in London and Boston Spa. Every
interview is being deposited with a detailed content description which
includes additional biographical information about each speaker. Once
integrated into the NSA's main on-line catalogue this will provide
historians and other users with much more sophisticated search
facilities than is usual for a collection of this size. Given the power
of modern databases and the often prohibitive costs of transcription,
few oral historians nowadays argue that whole collections should be
transcribed, especially when, as here, we expect to collect some 12,000
to 14,000 hours of interviews.

Additionally, we are looking, with the British Library, at way of making
material available to local libraries and archives. Subject to copyright
clearance and other rights agreements, they will be assisting recognised
local centres to acquire copies of material relevant to their areas.

Tim Brassell
Head of Press & Publicity, BBC National & Regional Broadcasting'

If anyone wants more information about what is going to happen to the
collection at the BL, then the person to contact is Rob Perks in the
National Sound Archive at the British Library.
--
Susan Griffiths
The Local History Press