Dear All,

Hope everyone had a pleasant and productive summer! I have a
number of items of information that need to be disseminated quickly -
 but also I am hoping to encourage people to use the mailbase.
here goes:

1. The International sub-committee and the Research sub-committee
meet at NISW on Friday 1st October starting at 10.30 (Int s-c) and
2pm (Res s-c).

2. The next stage of consultation over the RAE panels is taking place
now. This one concerns the way the panels intend to conduct  their
business. Date for submissions 15th October. I am hoping that the
Research s-c will prepare the SWEC response, but also every
social work academic should ensure they make a response on
behalf of social work through their institution. Ideally the Res s-c
could put first thoughts on the mailbase - then we could all reinforce
key points.

3. There is also an ESRC consultation exercise. This one is on the
Thematic priorities. I don't know the date for submissions but I think
it is in the new year. ALSISS is hoping to hold a seminar for all
learned societies - but again reinforcement through institutional

4. date of next SWEC meeting 18th October. Please can all papers
for circulation be sent to Jeanne and/or put on the mailbase.

See you at the SWEC meeting.

Joan

Joan Orme
Reader in Social Work Studies
Vice Chair: Joint University Council Social Work Education Committee