Coolin

It will only be a 'renaissance' IF OFSTED also feel it is important enough
to comment on in their inspection reports. All too often if something is not
compulsory then they will not examine it, the teams work to tender and try
to keep their costs as low as possible. Hence so many Business Studies,
Economics and Child Development departments and courses (to name but 3) get
ignored and consequently become the poor relations in school staffing and
resource funding which is often determined as a response to the OFSTED
report and the subsequent action plan.

If we want this to make a difference we (or Blunkett and the DfEE) have to
persuade OFSTED of its value.

Sorry to be so cynical ... but there have been too many highly publicised
band wagons which fizzle out to nothing; regretably this is likely to be
just another one. I hope I'm wrong!

Julie Parton