And some of us were on the beach - enjoying the last days of our summer
holidays!!!!!!!!!!

I start my first lesson of the Nuffield A level Economics and Business
Studies with some pretty basic stuff .. I will be teaching students with NO
Economics exposure and some with no Business Studies - others with GCSE A*!

A introduction to demand by a survey of how many Mars Bars or Cans of Cola
they would buy each week depending on how the price changes is a simple
introduction.

For Business Studies a series of group work presentations on the main
motivation theories normally proves to be interesting.

The old GCSE favourite of deciding what business should be opened in a local
empty building is always a good icebreaker. You can make this as straight
forward or complex as the students seem to be able to handle.

Hunt the entrepreneur (eg Richard Branson, Anita Roddick)/ Economist/ PLC
where students have a name pinned on their back and have to ask questions
about themselves which can only have Yes or No answers. The aim is to
discover their own identity.

Following this I'll use one of the Case Studies from the Times 100 packs.

Finally as part of my induction lessons a scavenger hunt on the internet. As
Geoff suggested a list of Economic data to be found and some questions of
various companies profits, Mission statements etc should make the first few
lesson light enough, interesting enough, not so critical that late joiners
(there are always some!) are severely handicapped and likewise those who
find the course is not for them have not taken up too many of my resources!