sophie a lecturer in this area recommended  this article

Complex Regional Pain Syndromes : Guidelines  For Therapy Stanton Hicks  et
al Clin J of Pain 14: 155-166 1998
This paper details a logical alogorithm pharmocology/psych/physical
restoration -desensitisation . It has a section on dealing with adults and
children .
I could photocopy and send it to you if you give me your address.
I will type a few  lines from the above! ' .. the first step primarily
involves the development of a theraputic alliance and rapport . Motivation,
mobilisation,desenstisation come next. The process of desensitisiation may
involve a pharmacologic approach to reduce pain and sensitivity and a
process of gentle non nociceptive stimulation involving
heat,massage,pressure cold, vibration, movement  etc  to help restore normal
sensory processing. It is essential that movement phobia be overcome and the
patient begin to  actually move and allow the  limbs to be  touched'
I    would say that often the latter point is the most important!
Of note is the comment  ' it is particularly important to avoid agressive or
passive ROM tests, especially in an extremity that is insensate after
regional anaesthetic blockade. Maintenance of and a gentle gradual increase
in ROM is the goal'. This may not be relevant  to you although I know it is
for people treated with RSD  of the upper limb?

All the  best .. I think there are many features of CRP that apply to many
chronic 'musculoskeletal' patients so the paper has made me think about the
management of many people in a much more global way than I did previously .

Ian Stevens Glasgow