In his article "The Early Church in Dumfriesshire and its Monuments"
(TDGNHAS, iii, XII, 1926), W.G. Collingwood makes reference to the
Martyrologium Usuardi where St. Kentigern appears as "bishop of Glasgow and
confessor".
The MU is supposed to have been compiled in the ninth century (Collingwood
gives a very precise "875"); but can the entry for Kentigern really be of
this antiquity or is it a later addition?
The latest edition of the MU seems to be Dubois "Le Martyrologe d'Usuard",
Brussels 1965, but are there any more recent authorities?
Finally, I am a bit perplexed as to why Kentigern should appear in a
martyrology, anyway. The only martyrdom involved in his Vita seems to have
been his being kicked around a little by the wicked Morken. Was being
appointed to a see in Scotland considered a fate worse than death?
I look forward to the usual erudite comments from fellow list-members.

Henry Gough-Cooper@Dumfriesshire, Scotland.