Dear Pippin,

As I understand it, joined hands as a prayer gesture derives from
the commendation ceremony; the ancient prayer posture was to
stand with both palms held on either side of the body upwards
towards the heavens. You might check the first volume of Marc
Bloch's _Feudal Society_ where he discusses vassal homage as a
first research gesture; sorry, but I don't have more specific
bibliographic references with me here. Hope this helps some...
Kathryn Karczewska
Harvard University