For what it's worth, the praying hands gesture is the common greeting gesture
for Hindu's in India.  I always thought it was a remarkable connection between
East and West, that it must be very old, and an appropriate way to simply greet
God at the beginning of a prayer or other religious observance.  This is pure
conjecture, of course.  Muslim's use the "salaam" which is more obvious in its
symbolic connotation as the hand touches the forehead and extends forward in a
broad sweep towards the intended person.  I would be interested in knowing more
about this "connection", if, indeed, there is one.  yrs, t. ault