On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Pippin Michelli wrote:

> Does anyone know where the hands together praying gesture came from and
> when?
>
> Pippin Michelli, Ph.D
> Assistant Professor of Art History, St Olaf College
> http://www.stolaf.edu/people/michelli/index4.html

I've had to mess around with this in an article coming out in Gesta next
year. In the mean time, you might want to look at three things. Gerhard
Ladner wrote an article on the Prayre gesture in the iconography of the
Papal Court in the 13th and 14th century, and it is reprinted in his 2
volume set of essays. Also, J.C. Schmitt, in his book on Gesture addresses
the pose. Also, there is an article by Paul Saenger that talks about the
deveopment of private reading and the prayre gesture which might be of
help. I'm away for the weekend, but if this isn't enough I can provide the
exact references on monday.
cecilia