Dear Penny,

There are others better qualified than me on lis-maps to answer
your enquiry, but as you haven't got a reply for a couple of days,
I thought I'd give a quick answer.

The World Directory of Map Collections, KG Saur, 1993 -
IFLA Publications 63 - indicates classification schemes in
use in larger map and spatial data libraries around the world.

For evaluative details of map and spatial data classification
schemes, I'd recommend:

Mary Larsgaard. Map Librarianship : an introduction. 3rd ed.
1998. Earlier editions also useful

Harold Nichols. Map Librarianship. 2nd ed., Bingley, 1982. A
more British perspective, much of it still relevant.

A detailed guide to other references can be found in Mary
Larsgaard's Chapter 17 Cataloguing and classification, in CR
Perkins and RB Parry's Information Sources in Cartography,
Bowker Saur, 1990.

Hope this is of some help to start with.

Christopher Fleet
Map Library
National Library of Scotland
33 Salisbury Place