AA lava thickness of the Parana Flood Basalt

Several months ago, I asked to the members of this mailing
list about aa lava flow unit thickness, e.g. those of the
Columbia River Basalt, Iceland and Deccan.

By means of recent detailed field work in southern Brazil,
I found the response for the Parana Basalt Trap. The previous
papers discussed its individual lava thickness to be about 50 m
by means of field work, and 10 to 20 m, by means of geochemical
and palaeomagnetic studies. The papers of the later category
ware the results of capitalism and quantitatism, that is, due to
enormous number of chemical and magnetical analyses.

Fortunately, I have found typical aa lava structure in basal
part of the Parana Trap, recognising 8 aa lava flows, including
6 complete sections. The mean thickness is about 15 m, that
is, the same order of those of Hawaii, Deccan and Iceland.

I have received helpful suggestions of the mailing list
members. Thank you very much. I am very grateful for you.

--
                                          Akihisa Motoki

Business: [log in to unmask]           Home: [log in to unmask]
Extra address: [log in to unmask]
   /\         /\                          We are not alone !!
  /  \       /  \     ****        *          Cats are friends
 /    !_____!    \                *            of the mankind.
!     0     0     !   * *       * * *    Fofoggy(M)
 \   ==  _  ==   /   *  *      *  *  *   Mumuggy (M)

Departamento de  Mineralogia e Petrologia Ignea,  Faculdade de
Geologia, Universidade do Estado do  Rio  de  Janeiro, Rua Sao
Francisco Xavier 524, Sala A-4005a, Maracana, Rio  de Janeiro,
CEP 20559-990, Brasil.         Local normal time =  GST - 3 hs