I imagine that this list has the (merit?) of having a majority of
members with an "academic" interest in design and research. It becomes
a comfortable place for us to share ideas in a way which is
appropriate to our interest and professional aspirations.

Other lists attract much broader participation, including students,
practitioners, job-seekers and a miscellany of other people who have
wandered in more or less by accident. You can get shallow
contributions, bad language (bad spelling!), flame wars, and
irrelevance. However you do also get humour, insight and access to the
real experience of all these people, maybe you have to interpret it
but it is real and I think it worth the discomfort.

best wishes from Sheffield,
Chris Rust
Sheffield Hallam University, UK