From: Laurence Bathurst <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 1999 4:28 AM
Subject: Re: Social Model Question What am I?

Hi Michael

I wonder if your disability is obvious to other people?.  If not, do you
feel
comfortable with disclosing cerebral palsy?  Whilst oppression tends to
indicate something we 'feel' and are aware of, I wonder how you feel
about the invisibility of cerebral palsy in the media and other public
discourses on 'the average Jo'?

I think you pose an interesting question in regard to identity and
identifying.  Is disability a transient thing that can enter and leave one's
consciousness at the whim of 'how other people see us and how we
therefore see ourselves'? In other words, does 'it' only become a disability
when it is recognised or constructed as such by 'another'? (for some
people).

> To all
>
> Firstly, I am a supporter of the social model but I am experiencing a bit
of
> confusion that I am trying to clear away and would like some help.
>
> If, in the disability/impairment dualism, disability is seen as social
> oppression and impairment as the physical facticity of *the condition*
what
> if I have never experienced discrimination? , does that mean I am not
> disabled? Is it just an problem for epistemology - a question of knowing?
> It is obvious the medically I have a condition - cerebral palsy yet I have
> never to my *knowledge* experienced discrimination.  In this case the
social
> model has no safety net with which to restore my ontological security as a
> disabled person - so without indulging in "false group consciousness"
> similiar   to Marx's false class
> consciousness in which I put not stock what am I?
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Michael

Best regards

Laurence Bathurst
School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences
Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Sydney
P.O. Box 170
Lidcombe  NSW  2141
Australia

Phone: (62 1) 9351 9509
Fax:   (62 1) 9351 9166
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Please visit the School's interim web site at
http://www.ot.cchs.usyd.edu.au
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious