I appreciated Lennard Davis's thoughtful post regarding the Salon article.
I agree that the conflict within the field is possibly more troubling than
the article that exploited it. I do want to weigh in, however, as a social
science type who has tremendous respect for humanities scholars that boldly
push the boundaries of disability studies into essential new territory.
Essential how? Essential for completing our understanding of the experience
of disability and its place in the understanding of being human. I am not
alone. Many of my colleagues in the social sciences cite the work of
"disability cultural studies scholars," struggle to understand its terms,
learn from it and refer our students to it. Heck, we even BUY it!  So
please, let's not amplify the discord by overgeneralizing.

Carol J. Gill, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Human Development
Director, Chicago Ctr. for Disability Research
Dept. of Disability and Human Development
University of Illinois at Chicago (M/C 626)
1640 West Roosevelt Road - Room 236
Chicago, IL 60608
(312) 355-0550 (voice)
(630) 920-0928 (fax)