In message <[log in to unmask]>, Carlos Arturo
Perez Avila <[log in to unmask]> writes
>The name of the consultant at Princess ROyal Hospital in Hayward Heath is
>Derek Harbourne but I do not know if he is on an Email address.
He is, but I havn't got it to hand. It wouldn't help you anyway since
the gadget was nothing to do with A&E! Of the 3 authors of the report
describing the pelvis stabilization belt, the only one left here is Mr.
M A Lavelle, Consultant Surgeon. The postal address if you wish further
details is:

Princess Royal Hospital
Lewes Road
Haywards Heath
West Sussex
RH16 4EX
U.K.

Whatever the pelvic stabilization belt cost, I bet it was more than the
very practical, low-tech, cheap alternative described by Dr Gardner from
Epsom (who still subscribes to this list?), of using a folded draw sheet
under the patient, pulled firmly around the fractured pelvis and secured
anteriorly.

>I have no knolledge of any problems with air bags in my patch. Brighton but
>the amount of high speed RTA is small many of the patienst that I see have
>either no air bags foitted in their cars or they have not inflated.
Unlike around Brighton, cars round here can (and frequently do) travel
faster than the legal speed limit. We probably see more than our fair
share of high speed RTAs. Air bags, like seat belts, are a big benefit
but can have side-effects. I saw a chap recently with minor facial
friction burns from a rapidly-expanding air bag in a new Vauxhall.
Better than face/chest versus steering wheel column. I heard somewhere
(maybe on this list) that car manufacturers had increased the speed of
inflation of their airbags, in an attempt to improve safety, but that
the extra speed might be causing a few problems. Don't know if anyone's
keeping stats, but my patient was going to tell General Motors about his
face burn.

Dr G Ray
Staff Grade
A&E