Hi world:

I was posed the question below. Opinions are solicited. Thank you in
advance.

  one of my outpatient staff has a referral to deliver iontophoresis
to an exquisitely tender xiphoid process.  No history of trauma, but
the xiphoid is out of alignment and there is a real mechanical
provocation with strong abdominal contractions and deep inspiration.
Therapist has ruled out cardiac etiology.  The patient has already
been treated with systemic prednisone to no benefit.  Apparently the
internist has asked for an orthopedic injection but no one has agreed
to inject.  we cant find anything to date in the literature that says
ionto is contraindicated, but so far everyone she talks to offers
hesitancy to go ahead and treat with ionto by virtue of site.