crm3a wrote:

>  I am interested in whether patients with low back pain are routinely
> tested for plantar flexor weakness(standing heel-rise test).  If you
> use this(or something similar) test, when do you use it, what do you
> consider to a normal value(how many repetitions) and what training did
> you have to encourage you use this test. Thanks for any replies, Ross
> Mounteney

I do a LE segmental muscle test on all LBP patients which includes hip
flex, knee ext, dorsi flex, eversion, plantarflexion and extensor
hallicus longus.  Plantarflexion is tested in standing, unilaterally, 10
reps = normal.  I also screen heel-toe walk when I suspect symptom
elaboration.

--
Dean Farwood, P.T.
Precision Spine Training