Stan Metheny wrote:

>In theory, but not necessarily _in re_. C 376, following a long established

Medieval?

>custom, defines 'diocesan' bishops and says all others are 'titular.' In
practice, the latter term is used for any bishop who is not appointed to
serve in a diocese, either as its head or as an auxiliary...

*Some*where I have a 12th c. Chartres document which speaks of a _vice
episcopus_--but I'm sure that, at this date, there would not have been
any question about a Papally (a word?) appointed "auxiliary."

>These usually serve in some administrative or diplomatic function. Some of
them are named archbishops, e.g., higher level Curial officials, Papal Nuncios
and Apostolic Delegates (=ambassadors of the Holy See).

A high medieval practice?

>Titular bishops are given the title to a diocese or see ('sedes') that
is no more except in name. These are usually cities no longer extant.

and, sometimes, for reasons "political":

http://www.partenia.org/eng/index1.htm

Again, a medieval practice?

Thanks, Stan.

Best from here,