-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: CA Muessig <[log in to unmask]>
Til: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Dato: 24. juli 1999 16:03
Emne: FEAST 24 July

>Today, 24 July, is the feast of ...
>
>* Boris and Gleb, martyrs (1015) - brothers, sons of st Vladimir of
>Kiev,  killed on orders of their eldest brother Svyatopolk

I thought you might like to know that in the far north-east of Norway, Pasvik, near the Russian border, there is a chapel dedicated to Boris and Gleb.  A Greek-orthodox church was first built here in 1565, by the holy Trifon, the apostle of the Eastern or Skolt Saami.  This is a minority group within the Saami population, which was christened from the east (Russia) in the 16th century (most other Saami groups in Norway were not christened until the 18th century).  Originally they moved freely between what is now Norway, Finland and Russia, but in the 19th century the borders were closed, and the Eastern Saami were forced to choose which country to belong to.  Two groups stayed in Norway, and there is also another small Greek-orthodox chapel in the same area: Saint Georg's chapel in Neiden, also established by Trifon at the same time as the one in Boris Gleb (as the place is now called).  At the moment, I am actually working on scheduling the settlement and chapel in Neiden.

Best wishes,
Ingegerd H.