----- Original Message -----
From: GABRIELE NEHER <[log in to unmask]>

> I was hoping for help with a problem I have encountered while looking
> at a depiction of a 'Murder of the Innocents': the top-half of the
> image depicts a Christ Child in a mandorla, carrying a cross, and
> above His head is a stone tablet which bears the inscription:
> 'Innocentes et recti adheserunt mihi'. Having looked this inscription
> up, it stems from Psalm 24,21- not from Matt2:16 where the story is
> told. Is the line used in the office celebrated on the feast day of
> the Innocents?

In my scan of the texts in the mass and office editions from 1931 to 1984
(current edition) plus a look at the 1570 editio prima I didn't see this
phrase, or Ps 24 for that matter. Holy Innocents was a popular feast,
however, with many local customs. Also, medieval office texts were far more
varied prior to the imposition of the move toward more uniformity after
Trent. This phrase may have appeared in one of the myriad of medieval local
or particular offices for the feast. Nor does the phrase appear in the texts
for the Innocents in Lodi. Some kind list member may have access to a proper
library and turn up something for you.