Today, 28 July, is the feast of ...

* Nazarius and Celsus, martyrs (date unknown) - earliest Milanese
martyrs;  translation of relics by Ambrose was accompanied by many
wonders

* Victor I, pope and martyr (c. 199) - an African, he is said by Jerome
to  have been the first in Rome to celebrate liturgy in Latin

* Innocent I, pope (417) - quotable quote: 'in all matters of faith,
bishops throughout the world should refer to St Peter'

* Samson, bishop of Dol (c. 565) - born in Wales, known throughout
Britanny for his miracles and missionary journeys (particularly in
Cornwall, Scilly Islands and Channel Islands)

* Botvid (1100) - Swedish layman, murdered by a Finnish slave he was
about  to set free

A few years ago Jonas Carlquist Dep. of scandinavian languages Stockholm
University informed us about the following edition of Botvid's vita:

The story about Botvid is edited in Scriptores rerum Suecicarum medii
aevi  II:1, from page 377 (the edition is taken from the 14/15th century
manuscript Codex Laurentii Odonis - a fragment of the same vita is also
found in a manuscript from c. 1250). If I remember correctly the slave,
liberated by Botvid, who kills Botvid is of Slavonic birth. Botvid was
killed on an island called outside Tystberga, Sweden, after a roving
expedition at sea.

* Antonio della Chiesa (1459) - preached an exemplum, stating that a
certain usurer, at his death, lost not only his soul but also his body,
which had been carried off by a troop of diabolic horsemen, so that his
relatives had had to bury an empty coffin

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168