> From:	Stan Metheny [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>
> I suppose it should be comforting to learn that such an ancient practice
> is
> 'liturgically "cool" nowadays.'

	I used that phrase and also "liturgically hip" deliberately, because
that was the way its implementation appeared in one parish. Actually, it got
to be very political: you could tell who was on which side of several issues
based on whether they genuflected (and it was to the main altar, not the
Sacrament, that they generally directed their attention), bowed, both (bow
at the altar, genuflection at the side), or neither.

> IIRC, the custom of ending psalms in the office with the lesser doxology
> is usually dated somewhere around the late 4c. Bowing during this doxology
> is also a most venerable custom, but I cannot recall seeing a definite
> date given for its origins. No DACL in hoc exilium meum, but suspect there
> may be a reference buried in one of its volumes. (Infallible or not,
> Cabrol and Leclerque didn't leave many opinions
> unpublished.)

	Thanks for the origin tale.

	Francine