 Monks/clergy who are
>into this bow also generally come to a full stop and bow at the altar rather
>than genuflecting.

Actually everyone bows to the altar;  it would be incorrect to genuflect.
Genuflexion (on the right knee) is a gesture of adoration peformed only to God.
One performs it before the Blessed Sacrament, which Catholics believe to be God.
Altars however are not God, but simply objects which are venerated with a bow.

In the past the Blessed Sacrament was usually reserved on or behind the High
Altar,
so there might be some confusion about what was being reverenced.  However,
when the priest entered he would first genuflect to the Blessed Sacrament,
then kiss the altar.
At the end of Mass he would kiss the altar, then genuflect before the
Blessed Sacrament before leaving the church.

When, as is common nowadays, the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in another
chapel,
one simply bows to the altar on entering the church.

However, there are plenty in my own church, and probably in every church,
who genuflect regardless.  They even genuflect on during the Easter Triduum
when the sacrament is not present at all.  This is the product of careless
instruction.

I qualified genuflexion above with "(on the right knee)".  One also
genuflects on the left knee to a bishop, to receive his blessing.  It would
be sacriligious to use the right knee, and a faux pas not to genfulect at
all.  I wonder what the one-legged priest of my former parish used to do?

When the Blessed Sacrament is exposed, as at Benediction, one kneels on both
knees.

I do not know what is the correct form when the bishop is exposed.

The Supple Doctor.