Today 14 July is the feast of ...

Deusdedit, archbishop of Canterbury (664): Deusdedit came from the
territory of the South Saxons and was the first Englishman to become
primate.

Marchelm, preacher (762): Marchelm was one of several young Englishman
who in the early part of the eighth century followed Willibrord into
Holland to evangelize the Frisians.

Ulric of Zell, abbot (1093). Cluniac monk. Was found crying by one of
his monks. When the monk asked Ulric what was the matter he replied: "I
weep for my sins ... but I weep most of all because I see there are
several monks here who have only the name and dress of religious."

Hroznata, martyr (1217): Founded the Premonstratensian abbey of Tepl in
western Bavaria. The death of Hroznata is due to his defence of
ecclesiastical immunities; he was kidnapped, thrown into a dungeon at
Alt-Kinsburg, near Eger, and there left to die.

Bonaventure, cardinal-bishop of Albano (1274). aka Seraphic Doctor.
Quite a CV. As a Franciscans he studied at the University of Paris under
Alexander of Hales. At Paris he taught theology from 1248-1257. In 1257
he was chosen minister general of the Franciscans. While Bonaventure was
re-writing the life of Francis, it is said that Thomas Aquinas saw
Bonaventure in deep contemplation and said: "Let us leave a saint to
work for a saint."

Boniface of Savoy, archbishop of Canterbury (1270): Due to his physical
beauty Boniface was aka "the Absalom of Savoy".

Humbert of Romans, minister general of the Dominicans (1277): Better
Known Fact: Studied at the University of Paris under Hugh of Saint-Cher.
Lesser Known Fact: At the general chapter held in London in 1263 Humbert
resigned as minister general and retired to the priory of Valence
devoting himself to study and preaching. He temporarily came out of
retirement when asked by Pope Clement IV to help in the settlement of
domestic difficulties among the Cistercians.

Dr Carolyn Muessig
Department of Theology and Religious Studies
University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1TB
UK
phone: +44(0)117-928-8168