The whole question of exegetical authority is a complex one, as Jim
Ginther has said. I'd like to offer a couple of points, as well as
some bibliography that I've found useful.

To see the many sided nature of exegetical authority in the earlier
(ie, pre-scholastic) period, I think it is useful to look at Beregar
of Tours and Rupert of Deutz. Beregar based his teaching on the
Eucharist at least partially on exegetical grounds and he claimed
Augustine's exegesis as an authority. The refutation of his teaching
was consequently two-pronged, refuting his particular exegesis and
also refuting his claim that Augustine's teaching supported him.
Rupert also got in trouble on the same matter, that is, on his
interpretation of the Eucharist, but partly escaped the consequency by
being able to show that in at least one matter on which he had
differed from Augustine's authority he had the authority of another
father, Hilary of Poitiers, to support him.

In fact, Rupert's whole attitude on authority and exegesis is very
interesting, especially as shown in the apologetical preface to his
John Commentary and in the first book of his commentary on the
Benedictine Rule (the former is printed in the Haacke edition of the
commentary in the CCL CM, the latter in the PL only; I've made
translations available on my Web page but I don't the originals are
anywhere on the Web). He is one of the few people I know of in this
period to claim a kind of charismatic authority for his exegesis.

Complicating the whole question is the fact that at least some
'authoritative' figures in the patristic/late antique period saw the
gift of prophesy described by St Paul as manifesting itself in the
explication of Scripture.

I have only just begun to explore how charismata and authority and
exegesis might all intersect in the work of some 12th century figures,
so forgive me if this is all old-hat to everyone else. I have found
two articles useful (though I think that the treatment of Rupert in
the Lerner article needs some correction). They are M.A. Mayeski,
'"Let Women not Despair": Rabanus Maurus on Women as Prophets'
(Theological Studies 58 (1997)) pp 237-53 and Robert E.  Lerner,
'Ecstatic Dissent', Speculum (1992) 67, pp 33-57.

A.

Abigail Ann Young (Dr), Associate Editor/ Records of Early English Drama/
Victoria College/ 150 Charles Street W/ Toronto Ontario Canada
Phone (416) 585-4504/ FAX (416) 585-4594/ [log in to unmask]
List-owner of REED-L <http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed-l.html>
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/reed.html => REED's home page
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~reed/stage.html => our theatre resource page
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~young => my home page