Would you like to feature in the LA's promotion pack designed to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the first public library Act?

I am sending this message on behalf of Jackie Toyne (Community Librarian for Nottingham West) who is compiling a 'list of firsts' for public libraries to feature in this celebratory pack.

She'd like to hear from you if your library, or you know of a library, that falls into any of the following categories:

THE FIRST PUBLIC LIBRARY.......

* which adopted the Dewey Classification scheme
* that provided toys for children to play with
* with CD ROM equipment for the public
* to rent out videos, computer games and CD's
* with an art gallery either in or attached to the library
* with public Internet access
* to establish a homework centre
* with 24 hour opening
* with a cafe or cybercafe

* and any other unusual 'firsts' you can think of!

If you are unsure whether you were the first at something, please reply anyway stating the name of the library, Authority and date when the service was launched.

I'd be grateful if you could send replies to me by 5 pm on Monday 2 August.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Helen

Helen Baigent, EARL Liaison Officer
4th Floor, Gun Court