Thanks to all who replied to my question about compasses.

In summary, the general consensus is that Breithaupt makes the best compasses.
This company makes three structural compasses one of which displays and
records the information electronically (Tectronic 4000).  The other two are
mechanical.  The top of the range model (Cocla) is very expensive (about
1000 USD), but the company is prepared to make offers for bulk orders.
There is a simpler type (Gekom) that also looks good and is cheaper.

The rumors that I had heard about Freiberger Praezisonsmechanik going out of
business were untrue and the compasses are still being produced.  The prices
are less than the Bretihaupt (about US$ 396 - US$ 410-depending on the
model).

Websites/email :

**Manufacturers**

Bretihaupt
http://www.breithaupt.de/

Freiberger Praezisionsmechanik (they also repair compasses for a reasonable
price)
http://www.fpm.de

Brunton Compasses
http://www.brunton.com/

**Retailers**

http://www.mineralogie.de/krantz

[log in to unmask] (this mail-order company also sells
Russian-and Chinese-made compasses that are much cheaper than the German
equivalents)

"Miners Incorporated" <[log in to unmask]>
Miners Inc. in Riggins, Idaho. (stocks the Breithaupt equipment)

I tried the Japanese made 'universal clinometer' once.  I found it fiddly
and didn't like it.  I suspect it would soon seize up in the field. It is
not widely used in Japan.

Simon
S. R. Wallis
Department of Geology and Mineralogy
Graduate School of Science                      Tel: +81 75 753 4156
Kyoto University                                      FAX: +81 75 753 4189
Kyoto 606-8502                                [log in to unmask]