Surely it should be the other way round. If you are not doing what the
evidence says you should, you are not doing what is best for your patients.

In order to prove negligence the patient has to show that there was a duty
of care (ie you were their docotr and they were your patient), and that
there was an act of ommision or commision, and that this led to harm coming
to the patient. They also have to show that the harm was a direct result and
that the outcome would have been better if the act of ommision or commision
had not occured (if you see what I mean).

If they can show that your everyday practice was not of the current
standard, and that they have been harmed as a result, then an act of
ommision (not doing the best) has occured. If they are thus harmed, you can
be sued. If you do something that is in their best interests, they have to
show harm and the connection with the doctor and the act.

They may sue you for not giving a treatment that other doctors give which
you have seen evidence should not be given as it is of no use. If they get
worse they may think that as you have not given such a treatment they have
been  harmed by you . But they cannot show harm has come to them as a result
of non-treatment by not giving it if there is evidence to back you up.

Trefor

Dr Trefor Roscoe
Lecturer Sheffield University Medical School
Webmaster Medical-Legal.co.uk