Good evening Laurence,

I am starting to enjoy this dog fight. We seem to get to the real issues
now. When you say that parents were seen as the enemy, and it still goes on,
the attitude was 'we know best, do as you are told, shut up and go away.
This to me indicates an enormous arrogance born out of enormous ignorance.
As it created a situation of authority v dependence, there always was the
threat of victimization - plenty of evidence of that, still, and betrayal of
trust. No wonder families had no confidence in the ability or willingness of
the world - as they knew it - to look after their children, and learnt the
hard way that nobody but nobody was to be trusted. It was as clear a
demonstration of 'charity maintaining poverty' as any Dickens or Bronte
story, and 'the lost generation' and the Neerkol' case here in oz are very
recent examples, not with disabled children, but with children
disenfranchised and marginalized for other reasons.

The change in attitude has been from the experts who have discovered that 23
year old academics who have read a book, may in fact not know everything. A
bit of humility goes a long way; they (you?) suddenly discovered families
were a massive resource. The knowledge and experience - not holistic, but on
the narrow base of their own family, added up, and once parents were
discovered it set the scene for an attitudinal change, from confrontational
to cooperative. We parents are a pretty desperate lot, used to clutching at
straws, and so we have welcomed this and responded to this by telling you
part timers what we really want.

The next step is the hardest, that is convincing governments that spending
money on disability is not optional, like charity, but a human rights issue.
Also, the more you spend, the more the whole community benefits.

That is the battle I am engaged in, and so far my batting average is zero.

Have a good weekend, rgds John