Alexa wrote in response to the article in the London Metro:

> This is typical. Sounds like Peter Singer has been successful.

as if Peter Singer was some kind of malign force of evil-rather than
being a rather mainstream utilitarian philosopher.

I hear that at a recent Harvard anti-Singer rally, there was an unusual
alliance of Right to Lifers and Disability Activists carrying placards
saying things like "Dr Singer - the New Mengele".

For a while now, I've been thinking that the reason Peter Singer is
being demonised,( and I believe, correct me if I'm wrong,  that the
impetus for all this started in Germany) is that a new generation of
guilty germans is desperate to be able to point the finger at someone
else. "See! The Jews are just as bad as we were. Maybe even worse".
It's blatantly obvious, though no one will say it, that this is the
reason why Peter Singer is being singled out above all else, and is a
lightning rod for projections of Nazi guilt.

As it happens just today I came across an article in Salon Magazine, at
http://www.salonmagazine.com/books/it/1999/07/02/philosopher/index.html
which confirms me in my hypothesis, though the author stops short of
naming the anti-semitic undercurrents:

But consider this quote:

." The general message [of the demonstrators] : Singer is an arrogant,
elitist intellectual who has come to America to poison the minds of our
Ivy League youth. The protesters called him a killer, a Nazi, a hater
and, perhaps most telling of all, a snob. "

Now where have I heard this stereotypic profile before, I wonder? Except
with a new enhancement - it seems that there is nothing so delightful
for people who can't deal with their own guilt as to pass the mantle of
Nazism to as many Jews as possible. Talk about projection!!

And finally, if you're going to villify Peter Singer, at least read his
damn book!

Judy Singer