Carolyn Tyjewski wrote in part:

>However, John, to point out what should be fairly obvious and not to critique
>your personal situation, your comment suggests that ALL
parents/families/carers
>are, as you believe yourself to be -- an advocate, strength, life support.
>Considering some fairly recent studies done by, I believe, Berkeley -- over
>half of Disabled adults who grew up with a disability reported having been
>physically and or sexually abused as a child by a parent, family member or
>carer (not to mention the numbers of Disabled children who are killed by
their
>parents, family members, and carers before they reach adulthood -- Drake), I
>think it is fair to say that at least some of the people who believe
themselves
>to be advocates, strength and life support for their Disabled child are
abusers
>as well.

<snip>

Carolyn, or others, can you site this study, or studies,  more
specifically?  The vague statistic is, of course, alarming, and I'm left
feeling a little skeptical.  For example, what population(s) did they
study?  How was this abuse defined?  What support for these claims is
offered? etc.?  I'd just like to understand the study since the statistic,
on its own, packs quite an emotional punch, and it seems to me that further
exploration might prove fruitful.