From: Patricia Bregman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 9 July 1999 14:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Adult Offenders with disabilities and diversionary programs

FAHEY Megan wrote:

> Dear Patricia
> Thankyou for your advice on this. Is this an area of interest for you as
> well? Megan

Very much so.  I work primarily on policy and law reform issues in the
areas of health care, mental health, advocacy, etc. so I am always
interested in new programs, policies and directions. I would be very
interested in knowing what you find out.  This is a particularly
important issue in Ontario because there is a serious shortage of
forensic psychiatric beds for basic assessment and treatment of people
in the criminal justice system.  As a result people are sent to prison
for lengthy periods of time while awaiting assessments.  These types of
programs have the potential to make a significant impact on people's
lives.  A study released in Toronto today about specialized courts
dealing with violence against women shows that they are much more
effective than the ordinary court system. I suspect the same is true of
diversionary programs and specialized courts which have the resources
and expertise to do more than process people on a conveyor belt.

Good luck with your research.