Notes from a sinful mother...

I have only 3 things to say about this recent media campaign:

First, I think Tanis is right on about the motive being politically
and economically derived.  And, I would add, there is a mytho-
religious aspect, as well.

>>Edwards, speaking at an ***international fertility conference***,
said that he welcomed the dawn of an age in which every child would
be wanted and genetically acceptable. . .  We are entering a
world where we have to consider the quality of our children."<<

Secondly, there is something symbolic about using a mouthwash to
detect 'defective' genes in the mother...

>>The NHS is also considering a national screening programme for
cystic fibrosis, with pregnant women offered a mouthwash for genetic
diagnosis of cells from the inside of the cheek to find whether they
are carriers of the CF gene.<<

And third, check out the upcoming Fall issue of DSQ for two eloquent
poems by Johnson Cheu, who 'absolves' his 'guilty' parents from 'sin'
--and who writes so sensitively that every parent and (adult) child
will rethink this whole bloody issue.

Finally (okay, four things to say), I am aghast to see this mentality
in print; and I only hope I can articulate a worthy response... after
my fury subsides.  I hope there is a campaign by UK parents to DRAIN
Mr. Edwards' gene 'pool' of its swampy, Third Reich debris.

Sheesh!

Dona M. Avery
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-0302